One Definition of Rally:

One definition of rally..."To summon up (one's strength, spirits, etc) or (of a person's health, strength, or spirits) to revive or recover."



If you'd like to know how you can help, please email to juntunenfamily@msn.com

Thursday, January 5, 2012

good vs. evil

I've always pondered the question, "do you want to hear the good news or the bad news first?"  What answer do you typically give to that question?  Which do you like to hear first?  Well, I don't have any bad news in regards to Aly, just good news.  I am just really frustrated with the health industry today and that is the evil part of my post.  

The good news is that Aly went swimming with her swim team last night.  She didn't last a long time, and got tired out within a 1/2 hour, but it is such a relief to see her starting to get back to some activities.  I think it is good for her to get those muscles moving again.  It is a good tired instead of a health related tired.  I think we may have to invest in getting some prescription swim googles though.  They were doing some warm up exercises, before getting into the pool, and Aly had to come back for her glasses.  Her prescription isn't that strong and she hasn't needed glasses for swimming before, so I'm not sure if it is a comfort thing for her or what?  It may just take some getting used to the vision fields she has.  One step at a time!

The evil part of this post has to do with the frustration in dealing with the health industry and its lack of common sense, the lack of common courtesy, and the lack of understanding.  I would very much like to get involved, somehow, to help reform.  I feel like I, by myself, would not be able to do much, but if anyone knows how I can help make a difference, bring it on.  If I had the time, the money and the backing, I'd love to start a non-profit that would help people navigate through a health crisis.  You never know what it's like until you've been through it.  I will say our insurance has been very good to this point, so I shouldn't complain too much, but I can't imagine what it would be like for those without good coverage or no coverage.
The latest issue is the time it took to get a medication for Aly.  It is a single dose of a steroid that Aly needs in case of an emergency such as an injury or serious illness.  Because her pituitary does not work, her body no longer produces the adrenaline needed to help cope with a serious injury.  We have a dose at home and the doctor suggested we have a dose at school as well.  It makes perfect sense, since she is there a majority of the day, right?  It has taken us, from the time Aly returned to school (Nov. 2) until today to get what we needed.  After rounds of communication between the doctor, the insurance company (who didn't want to approve it) and the pharmacy, I went to pick up the dose last week.  When I got home, I looked in the bag and there were no needles.  This medication must be injected.  Hmmm...so I call the pharmacy and they say, "the needles weren't part of the prescription, we'll need to call the doctor for authorization."  Really?  I may be off base here, but wouldn't it be common sense to think about calling me or the doctor to find out if we have needles before letting me know the prescription is ready?  A week later, I finally get the needles.  I went to pick them up and the pharmacist heard my last name and looked up and said, "oh, now I know who you are! I've heard your name so many times."  I said, "well, that's good because I'm here about every other day!" Then she says, "the prescription was okayed for a year's worth of needles, so there shouldn't be any more problems."  Good to know!  I'm hoping we will never need the year's supply as this is an emergency thing only!   
At least now I don't have to worry quite as much that something may happen at school and it could have serious consequences for Aly.  I've also learned, through this ordeal, that paramedics are not allowed to administer this drug.  It could have dire consequences for someone like Aly if it is not administered in a certain period of time.  I don't get it!  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you sweetheart,,,, the entire medical industry is a mess and somehow needs a through "common sense" cleansing from one end to the other!! Challenge is,,,, where to start?? It wouldn't hurt by writing your Congrssman for starters. The idea of creating a consumer/patient panel with a cross-section of people isn't a bad idea!!! Love you,,,Dad

    ReplyDelete