One Definition of Rally:

One definition of rally..."To summon up (one's strength, spirits, etc) or (of a person's health, strength, or spirits) to revive or recover."



If you'd like to know how you can help, please email to juntunenfamily@msn.com

Sunday, December 2, 2012

MRI Time

Tuesday is the day for Aly's MRI appointment.  Please send prayers that it will be clear once again.  If this one is clear, she will only need to do 2 next year!  Even though I called about 6 weeks ago for the MRI appointment, they could not fit us in at Children's where her cancer doctor is.  We have to go to Minnetonka for the MRI and then drive to Minneapolis to see her doctor.  Joy!

Health wise, things have been pretty normal as they go for Aly.  She had what seemed to be a long term cold, but that seems to finally be gone.  She has had some trouble falling asleep this week and also had a couple of days where she felt hot all day.  We thought it was her thyroid and maybe her medication needed to be adjusted.  A blood test was done, and everything is normal there, so we'll have to see if her blood tests on Tuesday show anything.  Some of the tests take 5 days to get back, and we haven't gotten all the results from the blood they drew last Wednesday either.  It could be other things on her mind too.  She had a bit of a stressful week.  She had a couple of comments about what her hair looked like.  Not good comments.  I'm guessing that is on her mind.  Kevin and I both suggested that she needs to stand up for herself and let the person/people know that she's been through cancer.  The day after the 2nd comment came, she wanted to wear a hat to school.  I let her do that, thinking it was ok, although they have a no hat rule at school, they do make exceptions for certain issues.  Her school counselor chatted with her that day, and brought up a good point.  Something I didn't think of.  If she starts wearing her hat again (she was wearing it when she had no hair and was sick), people might start rumors that maybe she is sick again.  That would not be good either, so the hat came off.
She got a haircut a couple of weeks ago and it looked really cute when the stylist styled it.  It is the typical thing that women have an issue with.  The cut looks so cute, but then when you try to duplicate the style at home it is not easy!  I've been trying to help her out in the mornings, but I'm no stylist either.    She's got a good amount of hair in most places, but the sides are very wispy and along her surgery scar it is rather thin.
The day of the bad comment, she came home and sat by me until I got off the phone.  I knew something was bothering her because she will typically start her homework right away, but she sat and waited for me.  The first thing she said was, "Mom, I'm thinking I want to get hair extensions."  I was wondering where this was coming from.  We had talked about extensions awhile back but it really isn't feasible when she is swimming 3 times a week and the cost is outrageous.  I asked her what was up and she told me she overheard the comment.  This on top of her loving (sarcastic) brother commenting while he was home for Thanksgiving, put her over the edge.  Yes, I certainly had a chat with her brother...but Aly did not know the girl that made the comment at school.
There is always something going on here.  Never a dull moment.  Aly had Friday off.  I worked for a little while in the morning and got off early.  The sweet girl had cleaned her room, emptied all the garbage cans, straightened up our living space, made my bed, done the dishes and she says, "I was going to clean your bathroom, but I ran out of time!"  I hadn't even asked her to do ANY of this!  She says, "I've been waiting for someone to do these things, but I figured I'd have to do them myself." ( I think I've said that myself before!)  I was so thrilled that she'd take the time to do all this!  I told her she was wonderful!  She will spend hours in her room, "organizing".  Love that girl!
Anyways, Friday afternoon I had to get on the phone, my typical afternoon activity, because we hadn't heard lab results.  I had asked if we should get her in right away or wait until MRI day because they have to do labs too.  I had called on Tuesday to set up the appointment and the nurse had said, "oh yeah, if she's not sleeping you'll want to get her in right away.  We want her to feel good!  The results will be back the same day for the thyroid check."  So, I got an appointment for Wednesday morning.  So much for "right away."  No one called, no follow up.  Friday rolls around and still no call.  It seems it is not THAT important that Aly feels good???  All up to me I guess, the follow up queen!  :)  It took 2 phone calls, which I sat on hold for both.  Then 2 more phone calls, from the nurse's end, before we found out things were normal.  I swear, it is unbelievable!  Aly was sitting with me, listening.  She gets it, she is so sympathetic, such the caregiver.  She finds it outrageous too.  She is still having trouble falling asleep.  I'm adding that to the list of questions for the doctor appointment Tuesday.  I currently have 8 questions on my list.  Fun, fun!  Even after all this, I still feel like we don't know everything about Aly's condition.  I am going to have to do more homework in regards to her endocrine (no pituitary function) issues.
One day at a time...one day at a time!
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment