One Definition of Rally:

One definition of rally..."To summon up (one's strength, spirits, etc) or (of a person's health, strength, or spirits) to revive or recover."



If you'd like to know how you can help, please email to juntunenfamily@msn.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

There have been so many days through this process where I just want to have the power to make this all go away.  I really did not want to get out of bed today.  I was tired and lazy and just was in a funk.  Then I start thinking about how hard this has been on Aly and how she must feel every day.  There are so many unknowns.  Some of the unknowns will be answered on Friday, but others will not be answered...maybe some questions will never be answered.  I would not wish any of this on my worst enemy.  Not that I feel like I have any enemies, but if I did I wouldn't.
Yesterday, was a long day.  I left the house at 7 am so I could get some work in before taking Aly to the clinic.  Our clinic appointment was 1:30 pm.  Aly and I sat in the lobby waiting and waiting.  I overheard one of the ladies at the check in desk say to another lady that all the rooms were full and they didn't know what they were going to do with the people waiting.  This clinic has about 20 rooms!  It is sad to think about all of the children fighting diseases!  This is a hematology/oncology clinic only.
So, 2 pm rolls around and finally some families leave and we are ushered into an exam room.  Shortly after, the nurse draws Aly's blood to check her blood counts and sends them to the lab.  Then we wait on the RN that works with Aly.  She is the one that scheduled this appointment at 1:30 because it was convenient for her.  She comes in around 2:30 pm and says, Aly needs a blood transfusion and a platelet transfusion.  We are moved to a transfusion room and have to wait again for the blood and platelets to be ordered.  Around 3:30 the process starts.  It took one hour for the platelets to run then another 2 hours for the blood to run.  We didn't leave the clinic until 6:30 pm.  These days are ungodly long and frustrating!  Aly and I spent the hours playing Sorry.  I really hate that game!  Aly was determined to keep playing until she beat me.  I tried to lose.  I kept giving her tips on how to move her pieces.  Gave her strategies, kept saying, "are you sure you want to move that one?"  Believe me, she beats me in the game of Trouble ruthlessly, so I'm not too concerned about these losses!  She is a competitor through and through.  I think that is what makes her such a fighter through this cancer.  We had some good laughs and she was in good spirits.
Today, not so good.  Her stomach is bothering her.  Much like it did after the last round of chemo.  Much like when we ended up going to the E.R.  She had a bit of a fever earlier in the day, but it seems to be gone now.  They started her on an antibiotic yesterday, so I'm hoping that the medicine will kick in soon as it did last time and she will have a better day tomorrow.  I was surprised that the transfusions didn't give her a boost as it usually does.  Her counts were really low though.  Her hemoglobin was at 6.5.  Normal is 10 or higher.
Now, we all anxiously wait for Friday.  This week is dragging like no other.  The radiology dept. called today to see if we wanted to reschedule because the eye googles that kids can use to watch a movie while they are in the MRI machine was broken.  Uh, NO! we do not want to reschedule!  I'm sure they had no idea what we are waiting for on this one, but I was about to panic.  I ran it by Aly and she told me she wanted to sleep anyways so she didn't care about the movie thing.  Good!  

2 comments:

  1. Jayne, I know it's hard for Aly but I also know that it's very hard on the rest of the family too. Praying for God to continue to give you the strength to face each day the best you can. Also praying for good test results for tomorrow. Take Care and may God Bless you and your family today and always.
    Hugs,
    Jimella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin & Jayne,
    Terry and I wanted to let you guys know you are in our prayers. I want you to know since I seen you guys on Friday, I haven't been able to stop thinking about Aly and your family. God is capable of miracles. I know in tough times it can be hard not to ask "why" but just keep asking him to take away her sickness. He has the power to heal her. We will continue to pray for your healing.
    Kelly and Terry Nelson ( Gunnar's Mom & Dad)

    ReplyDelete