One Definition of Rally:

One definition of rally..."To summon up (one's strength, spirits, etc) or (of a person's health, strength, or spirits) to revive or recover."



If you'd like to know how you can help, please email to juntunenfamily@msn.com

Thursday, March 31, 2011

3/31

Well, I am amazed at Alyona's strength.  We could all learn from her.  Today she got a stuffed dog as a gift from her teacher Mrs. Woods.  As we were getting ready to leave for the hospital she says, "Mom, I thought of a name for my dog." I said, "What?"  Aly says, "Hope."
The more we all think about and hear about what her body has not been doing lately, we don't know how she has been able to function the way she has.  The tests they've taken in the past days show her glucose (blood sugar) being very low and her sodium levels being very high.  They said her thyroid hasn't been functioning properly and her hormone levels are off.  Not to mention the vision loss.
Aly made it through her surgeries just fine today.  All went well.  She brought her favorite monkey with her.  It is a little one (same size as a beanie baby).  Its name is Tiny.  Tiny got a hospital bracelet just like Aly.  They gave Aly some baby booties that were way too big for Tiny, so they suggested to make a hat out of one, so Tiny has blue bootie hat.  They also gave Tiny a little oxygen mask like Aly had to breathe into for the anesthetic that put her to sleep before the surgery.  Aly thought that was all great!
The semi-permanent central IV is in place up near her right collar bone.  The stomach tube is in and that is the one thing she is upset about.  The tube will be sticking out for about a month and a half.  At that point they will put a "port" on it so it will be flush against her stomach.  She was happy to hear that once that is on she will be able to swim!  We do not have the results of the spinal tap they did yet.  They started the chemotherapy treatment around 6pm.  She will have another dose tomorrow afternoon and then the third on Saturday morning.  They told us if all goes well, she can come home on Saturday evening.

13 comments:

  1. Aly is friends with my daugther Maddie at Big Woods - you live in the same neighborhood, Maddie and Aly have played together, and she came to Maddie's birthday party last year. Both Maddie and I are thinking of Aly...of your family. You are in our hearts, thoughts, and deepest prayers. I love the story of her naming her dog - precious! Maddie has said she would like to do something for Aly - like collect toys, books, games, etc. for her to do. What are your thoughts? I will also be contacting Holly to bring some meals over, and treats too. If you need help with errands, groceries, anything, please call. I am right around the corner on Mellum Avenue. You can e-mail me at kderbis@msn.com.
    In friendship...
    Kelle Derbis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aly,
    we know you through Jack and Jan who we met in Macedonia almost 16 years ago. We love Jack and Jan as our parents, and we love and care of you as you are part of our familly too. We've heard last night about this terrible news but we also heard how brave you are! Aly, you are in our thoughs and our hearts, we are with you and will be with you in the next months! And when you win this battle you will come to visit us in France where we live now. Jack told us last year that you wanted to visit Europe and to see Paris, so we will be waiting for you to come, and we will together visit all places you want to see!!! We all love you and pray for you! Vesna, Vlatko, Ema and Philip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Aly, I just had my 60th birthday, one you will have too and look back on one day when all this fuss seems so distant. Just wanted you to know that heroes aren't just for kids -- you happen to be mine. Hang in there -- though I don't know you, I love you very much! Your new friend,
    Rande

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Brave Miss Aly & her family - my son, John Lentner, is in your class at Big Woods. I have never met you, but he has always spoken very kindly of you. We are praying and pulling for you to stay strong and come through all of this with all of your health & happiness intact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Aly, My daughter Alicia was in your 3rd grade class and also swims with the Sea Devils. You were her inspiration last year when you went to state for swimming. All we heard was how fast Aly is!!! Very impressive. Now, you go tell that cancer to "Eat your Bubbles!". We are thinking of you every day!
    - Stephanie and Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aly - we are friends of your Grandpa Jack and Grandma Jan. We knew your Mom when she was a little girl and living in Roseville. We love them all so much and we also love you. We are so glad you are getting so much good care and we know that you will fight this cancer and be back in school and swimming along with the rest of your friends. Please know we are praying for your recovery and will look forward to reading the blogs your Mom provides. Please say hello to Grandpa and Grandma for us. We are so happy they can be with you now.
    Merlyn and Velma Wesloh
    Now living in Texas, but returning to MN in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aly and family,

    We are thinking about you constantly and praying praying praying like crazy for you.
    Carol, Gene, Jade and Alex Essen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Aly, your Granpa Jack and Granma Jan are my American dad and mom. It was more than 30 years ago that I spent (together with my younger brother Yuji) wonderful summer (actually 2 summers) with Wilkins family in Minnesota. I know your mom Jayne when she was at your age.
    It was such a wonderful wonderful time I had with your family (Granpa Jack, Granma Jan, Aunt Jill, Uncle Jeff, Uncle John and Geena lovely little dog) that St.Paul/Minneapolis became my second home in my heart. Jack and Jan since then kindly kept in touch with us and my parents.
    I have 15 year old and 6 year old daughter and all of us are praying for you and your family.
    Lots of love, from Tokyo Japan, Mori Family Shintaro/Yoko/Erica/Ayaka

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Aly,
    The Hohlens are praying for you and thinking of you often. We pray that God will provide all of you with strength, hope and the faith that you need to make it through the difficult days and weeks to come. We would love to come visit when you feel up to having company.
    Barry, Jackie and the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Aly,

    You remain in our prayers. I love the name you gave your dog, Hope. We always have our hope in God that can never be taken away from us. You are a very brave girl and I can see that you have many people who love you all over the world. With all of the people praying for you, I know there is probably someone praying for you and your family at all times. God loves you so very much and He will give you the strength to get through each day. I knew both of your parents in college. Your Mom was one of the nicest people on campus. She was room-mates with my twin sister, Jimella. Your Dad was nice most of the time, he loved to pick on my sister and me. I'm sure you have the same experience with him :o) I live in Iowa on a Farm. I have two boys, Jacob is nine and in 3rd grade and Matthew is 6 and he is in Kindergarten. You are in our family prayers every night. And, Aly, would you do me a favor? Please give your Mom a big hug from me...thanks!!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Aly,
    I hope you will feel better soon because then me and Lexi can spend time together with you. You will always be in our prayers. I'm sorry you have to have all this treatments done to you!


    Love,
    Teagan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aly, I hope your day went well and tonight you are able to go home! Hang in there sweetie, there are lots of people loving you! Word is spreading all over the country and there are people praying for you all over the place! I even see friends of mine on here that have not even met you, and they are cheering you on!
    Love you! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aly, we miss you in Mrs. Wood's class. Me and my family are praying for you. We hope you feel better soon!

    your friend Evie

    ReplyDelete