One Definition of Rally:

One definition of rally..."To summon up (one's strength, spirits, etc) or (of a person's health, strength, or spirits) to revive or recover."



If you'd like to know how you can help, please email to juntunenfamily@msn.com

Saturday, April 2, 2011

4/2/11

Well, we are quickly finding out that there are so many ups and downs with this process.  Kevin and I have spent hours learning what we will need to do to take care of Aly once she is home.  It seems like we will be bringing home a newborn baby.  I think we will also become honorary nursing assistants.  They are starting to gather feeding formulas, medicines, measuring tools, etc.  Yesterday, when I got home there was a message to call to confirm drug deliveries.  The price of one medicine alone is a mortgage payment.  Thank God for health insurance.  
Today, Aly completed her first round (which was 3 doses in the past 3 days) of chemotherapy.  She seems to be doing well as far as not much nausea and was a little more herself today, as she was able to get up a few times and walk around the hospital floor.  They thought she would be able to come home today, but she is having trouble urinating, and they cannot figure out why.  At first they believed it to be the morphine they were giving for pain after her surgery, but after stopping that, she is still having trouble.  The nurses are now saying they'd be surprised if Aly goes home tomorrow either.  Aly's attitude has quickly gone from a sweet polite patient, to an angry one.  She has every right to be angry, and we feel so bad.  Kevin happened to talk with a couple who's child is going through treatments, and they were telling him how chemo really affects the personality.  I guess it messes with the hormones.
I must say thank you to Kevin who has been the one staying at the hospital this time, as I have been coming home and spending time with Tom.  Also, to my mom who has been an amazing help while she's been here.  I know I don't say thank you enough, I'm planning to get better at it really quickly!
I so enjoyed my evening with Tom last night.  We talked a lot and he, on his own, came up with the idea of creating a logo he wants to have put on a golf hat he can wear while golfing this year. (Tom mentioned how Phil Mickelson has a breast cancer ribbon on his hat, to support his wife and mom.)  He would also like to share the logo with others that would be interested.  If anyone knows anyone who would help us do that, it would be awesome.  The most costly piece is usually having the logo digitalized so it can be reproduced/embroidered.
I am amazed at how quickly news spreads.  We've heard from friends all over the world.  It is unbelievably heartwarming that people who have never met Aly are so compassionate and willing to help.  THANK YOU!

3 comments:

  1. Praying that Aly will be able to come home soon. I can only imagine how the chemo would impact the emotions. I'm sure Aly is trying to comprehend all of the changes that have happened in the past week. Maybe it would be helpful for her to journal or draw...a way to express her feelings. We continue to hold you all close in prayer.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the logo! I spoke with a friend of mine who is a very talented graphic arts designer and he would love to do this at no charge. There are a couple of design questions he asked me to ask you so please call me at 763.497.2363 and then he can get started right away!
    Kelle Derbis
    Maddie's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, my daughter Ingrid Erickson also goes to Big Woods. Your daughter's story is amazing and she has been in our thoughts and in our conversations for a couple of weeks. My ex-husband develops vinyl graphics right in Albertville. He is willing to help with a logo if need be and is willing to make any type of welcome home banners that you might want. His name is Jon Van't Hull. Company is Something Custom. 612-618-6625

    Sarah Erickson
    Ingrid's mom. 3rd grade

    ReplyDelete