One Definition of Rally:

One definition of rally..."To summon up (one's strength, spirits, etc) or (of a person's health, strength, or spirits) to revive or recover."



If you'd like to know how you can help, please email to juntunenfamily@msn.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

chink in the armor

I must apologize for not posting sooner.  Thank you Gail and Jimella for the gentle reminder that people are wondering how Aly is doing. 
Call it writer’s block, call it needing a break from all things medical…I don’t know, I just haven’t felt like writing.  I’ve had a chink in my armor.  This whole thing has been too much of an emotional roller coaster and my emotions have gotten the best of me this week.  I’ve been holding it together but for some reason this week I’ve felt like I hit a brick wall.  Frustration is at an all time high; frustration with the doctors, frustration with the support staff, and frustration with the Make a Wish program.  It has all converged at once.  I won’t go into all the details other than saying, “Everyone needs to get on the same page!”
Aly is doing great, making her typical speedy recovery.  We are hoping she will be released from the hospital today or tomorrow.  It has been a struggle to get her to do the things she needs to do and I don’t blame her not wanting to do anything but sleep, but she had some goals to accomplish in order to be released, like eating and doing physical therapy and she hasn’t wanted to do either.  I know some if it is because they have her on strong pain medication when she tells them her head hurts, stuff that makes her sleepy.  We weaned her off that yesterday, cutting it down to Tylenol, and by the end of the day she was more like her normal self.  She’s still got an attitude, which again is understandable but makes things just a bit more challenging.  Her eyesight still comes and goes.  I know that is worrying her and I know the stitches on her head are making her insecure.   She had a short chat with the staff psychologist yesterday and Aly said she was frustrated as well. 
I’m hoping we’ve turned the corner.  We have been waiting to hear what the next step is.  Aly’s cancer doctor has been out on medical leave for the last two weeks and the fill ins do not know what the plan is.  That is part of the frustration I mentioned.  It is the same old story, hurry up and wait.  Even the neurosurgeon said to us, “it stinks having to have things done during the summer.”  It is vacation time for everyone but us.  Get one thing done then sit and wait for a decision to be made while all of our lives are put on hold.  It is hard seeing pictures of other peoples’ summer vacation trips.  It is hard to think about Aly missing out on summer and possibly part of the school year if radiation is next.  This is just plain hard all around!


UPDATE:  Shortly after I posted this Kevin called me to let me know everyone was on the way home...so Aly is at home today.  She is resting, tired with a headache, but she is home....

  

6 comments:

  1. No apologies! Maybe I should be patient while you take care of yours. Glad to hear Aly is being pissy! She has every right to be. And so do you! Hugs! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a right to be exhausted, frustrated and just plain upset with all that Aly and the family have been through the past several months. Don't apologize. Give that wonderful girl a hug and everyone in the family one as well. We continue to think about all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will be many summer hollidays, be sure! I know exactly how you feel, althought our problems were from other nature, but still was very painfull... Everything will seems like a bad dream one day and you will compensate all these days spent in a hospital on a nice trips and hollidays! It is great that Aly is recovering fast! We will continue to think and pray for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was placed with a teacher who had cancer during my student teaching placement. She was an amazing woman. She once told me that cancer does not define her, but how she lives and fights with cancer does. Aly's courage through all of this is amazing. Even though she might be frustrated and crabby and you might have some bad days, your family is not letting cancer define you. Your positive outlook and the love you surround Aly with will get you all through this horrible illness!

    Somtimes the race is not always won by the swiftest - rather slow and steady steps will still get you to the finish line - and victory! I keep saying lots of prayers for all of you!

    I hope Aly gets to go home soon, but if you are still around Sunday (God willing you won't be) we are serving dinner to the parents in the Ronald McDonald house and I will stop up to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne, You are an amazing person. It's okay to be frustrated and vent, it's not good to keep it all in.

    I'm glad Aly is home! We will keep praying for all of you. What your family is going through is very difficult and there is nothing easy about it. Sending you lots of cyber hugs. Take Care and God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad Aly is home! Thanks for sharing your frustrations - you have held up so long and so well and are still standing, Amazing! It's good to see the side that says "you know? I've had enough!" - Now on to the next thing with steps a little lighter after venting.

    Love you all, it was good to see you Friday.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete