One Definition of Rally:

One definition of rally..."To summon up (one's strength, spirits, etc) or (of a person's health, strength, or spirits) to revive or recover."



If you'd like to know how you can help, please email to juntunenfamily@msn.com

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Transformation Thursday

Yeah, I'm trying to be clever with the titles!  :)

But, there really was a transformation in Aly today, actually a few transformations.  She felt great, and got a great night of sleep after several not so great nights.  Aly was also in great spirits today and very talkative.  I can't begin to tell you how happy that made us.  The biggest transformation today was after Aly made the decision to shave her head.  That decision took a lot of courage, but I think in the end it was a great one.  Any time she combed her hair or ran her fingers through it, her hair was coming out.  It was a constant reminder, as she'd see it on her pillow, blankets and pj's.  She got in the shower this morning and told me she didn't want to wash her hair.  I didn't ask why, but I knew she was afraid of seeing more hair come out.  When she stepped out of the shower she told me she just wanted to get it cut off.  We told one of the nurses Aly's decision and she told us there were a couple of baskets filled with knit hats in the family lounge on our floor.  Aly and I walked down to the lounge and picked out 2 really cute hats.  After a battle to find a trimmer that worked, I held her hands as she sat while one of the nurses so kindly did the cutting.  I could tell Aly was fighting back tears and her bravery amazed me.  When she was finished she truly seemed happier.  Some of the child life helpers came in and brought some wooden figures and paints for Aly.  She painted a cute little giraffe.  She had a really good day.  I hope that continues.  There were hints today that she will be ready to go home tomorrow.  Please cross your fingers and say some prayers!      

7 comments:

  1. Love the new look Aly! Your new hat is super cute! I also love the monkey pj's but does your shirt really say let it SNOW??? I am so glad you are feeling better! I hope you sleep well tonight and that the hints come true and you are sleeping in your own bed tomorrow night! Sweet dreams!

    Miss Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally,

    I don't even know you, but you bring tears to my eyes and make me sing praises at the same time. Thank you for being such an inspiration to all. You certainly have made an impact me. You look BEAUTIFUL! Keep your smile shining!!!

    Shelley Ulrich Hein

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Aly! I love the hat!!!! Glad to see the smiles, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aly, you look beautiful!!!! We admire you! You are giving a lesson to many people around the world WITH YOUR COURAGE AND SMART DECISIONS!!!! Just keep up that way! We are with you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aly - I think you look absolutely beautiful with your new hat! Not everyone can rock a hat like that :) John told me that your monkey sits in your desk which is right next to his at school. He said it's really cute, but he would rather it be you there in person! John, his sisters & I are all very proud of you in being the strongest girl we all know of. We will keep praying for you :) You are a true inspiration to so many people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aly, I love your hat, I think it is really cute. I am glad you had a good day and I can't wait until you come home so I can see you.
    Your friend Landon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aly...I am a friend of the Blaeser's and Rene shared your story with me. I want you to know that our family has been praying for you since we heard your story. You are a very brave young lady and have been handling all of this with such grace. I too am a cancer survivor and I know exactly how you feel about losing your hair...it was scary for me too...but after it was done...well...it was just done and I found out there are a TON of cute hats...hats I would have never thought about wearing before. Hold your cute bald head high....you are a SURVIVOR!!! I look forward to meeting you...I'll try to coordinate that with Rene after you get back home...my girls want to meet you too and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete